1) Why is Holden being kicked out of school?
2) How does Holden disagree with Mr. Spencer about his philosophy of life?
3) What does Mr. Spencer do which makes Holden angry? Why?
4) How does Holden feel about lying and phonies?
5) How does Holden feel about reading books?
From the class of 2000 (in January, 1996 English I class)
Chapter 4 (Victor, Nina & Mike)
1) What is Stradlater's personality like?
2) Who is Jane Gallagher? How does she affect Holden?
3) Would you consider Ackley Holden's friend? Why or why not?
Chapter 5 (Abbey, Danielle, Rob)
1) What made Ackley so annoying?
2) Who does he go to the movies with and why does Holden go?
3) What did Holden write the descriptive essay about? Why is this significant?
Chapter 6 (Anthony, Assad & Mitch)
1) How does Holden's deep affection for Jane cause his distress when she goes out with Stradlater?
2) What kind of a friend is Ackley to Holden? Why?
3) Despite the way Holden and Stradlater act, why are their child-like actions acceptable?
Chapter 7 (Maura, Janel, Jeff)
1) What causes the fight between Holden and Stradlater?
2) How does Holden plan to leave Pency Prep, and why does he take the actions he did?
3) What is Ackley's reaction to the fight and how does he treat Holden after he heard his story?
4) Why does Holden yell, "sleep tight, you morons!" before he leaves?
Chapter 8 (Isaac, Greg, Brian)
1) Why did Holden continuously like to Ernest Morrow's mother?
2) Why was he on the train to New York City?
3) Why did Holden dislike Ernest Morrow?
Chapter 9 (Victor, Nina & Mike)
1) Why does Holden feel so lost when he gets to New York City?
2) How does Holden try to overcome his loneliness while in New York?
3) Why does Holden keep asking about the ducks?
Chapter 10 (Danielle, Abbey, Rob)
1) Why does Holden want to talk to Phoebe?
2) What bothers Holden about the girls he dances with?
3) Why does Holden tell the girls he saw Gary Cooper?
4) Why does Holden only drink Cokes at the bar?
Chapter 11 (Anthony, Mitch, Assad)
1) How does Holden's previously living in New York affect his present situation?
2) Why does Holden's thoughts and ideas make it harder for him to think about Jane?
3) Why does Holden's mother never really like Jane?
Chapter 12 (Maura, Janel, Jeff)
1) Why does Holden ask the cabby about the ducks?
2) Where does Holden go during his first night in New York?
3) What is Holden's reaction to D.B.'s friend, Lillian Simmons?
4) How does Holden feel about Ernie?
Chapter 13 (Isaac, Greg, Brian)
1) How does the story about Holden's gloves getting stolen show his personality?
2) What resulted from Holden's meeting the prostitute?
3) What character traits of Holden appear as he kids the prostitute out of refusing her services?
4) What character traits does it show of Holden when he says that he hates fist fights?
Chapter 14 (Danielle, Abbey, Rob)
1) Why did Maurice beat up Holden?
2) Why does Holden refuse to give up the $5?
3) What is Holden's view on religion?
Chapter 15 (Victor, Nina & Mike)
1) Why does Holden call Sally Hayes even though he thinks she is phony?
2) How do Holden's views about religion change when he is talking to the nuns at breakfast?
3) How does the suitcase incident between Holden and his roommate show their differing attitudes?
Chapter 16 (Anthony, Mitch, Assad)
1) How does the buying of the record by Holden show his feelings for Phoebe?
2) How does Holden's meeting Sally make it feel more like a chore?
3) Why does Holden go through the park and museum, but never go in the museum?
Chapter 17 (Maura, Janel, Jeff)
1) What is Holden's reaction to meeting Sally's friend George?
2) Why does Holden get confused about his relationship with Sally?
3) Why did Holden want to elope with Sally?
4) What events take place at the play to cause Holden to realize things about himself?
Chapter 18 (Isaac, Greg, Brian)
1) Why does he keep putting off calling Jane?
2) What does Holden from the time between when he left the rink and met Carl Luce?
3) Why does Holden openly admit that he is a "sacrilegious atheist"?
4) How can you tell from this chapter that D. B. has a big influence on what Holden says and does?Note: Original list from the "Voices of the Shuttle" web site. I then cut dead links or irrelevant to my English I / 9th grade English class.
rating system: 5 mice=highest value to 1 mouse, minimal, but something to offer (worthless sites deleted from original list)
Return to Mr. Kendall's English I Page